It’s no secret that this holiday season will be a tougher one for many people than before. But small businesses have a unique opportunity to help their communities this year. Here are some ways small businesses can give back this holiday season, whatever your budget.
- Support other businesses as often as possible, both personally and on behalf of your small business.
- Donate, whether it’s monetarily or via the goods your business makes or service you perform.
- Show your employees a little extra love, whether it’s more holiday time off or gift cards to use at local businesses in the new year.
- Investigate charity events your business can sponsor or participate in.
- Consider giving away a service or resource that you might normally charge for. As an example, your photography business may post a series of “Photography Lighting Hacks” videos on YouTube or Instagram. This could have a ripple effect – maybe another small business just needs great, well-lit product photos for their website but can’t afford to hire a professional.
- Signal boost other businesses. Make a point of highlighting the other small businesses in your area or indirect competitors in your industry. Word of mouth is a powerful thing!
- Give referrals to other service providers as often as possible.
- Collaborate with other businesses to offer bundled services or products. This can help promote related businesses and perhaps introduce them to potential customers who weren’t familiar with them.
- Show your gratitude. This one might sound overly simple, but sometimes just hearing that someone out there cares can go miles in sustaining an entrepreneur’s determination.
Do you have any other suggestions that we might have missed?